Basic Information about Romania
Romania lies in the Eastern wing of the European Union. With a population of 21 million, it is one of the medium-sized countries of Europe. Romania borders Hungary, Ukraine, the Republic of Moldova, Bulgaria, Serbia, is placed on the lower Danube and shares part of the Black Sea coast. The capital is Bucharest, which has a population of over 2 million inhabitants. The official language is Romanian but Media is publishing also in Hungarian, German, and English.
"Study in Romania" Programme
The Romanian higher education system is organised on three undergraduate and post-graduate levels:
- 1st cycle (licenta) corresponding to bachelor degree,
- 2nd cycle (master) corresponding to master’s degree,
- 3rd cycle (doctorate) corresponding to doctor’s degree.
Romanian higher education is managed by the Ministry of Education, Research, Youth and Sports (MECTS, www.edu.ro).
The Romanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, through the Division of Cultural, Educational and Scientific Relations, cooperates with MECTS to facilitate educational exchanges and ensure foreign citizens the possibility to study in Romania.
Foreign Citizen can study in Romania:
- On their own expenses, at state or private universities in Romania (lists on www.edu.ro), with a supplementary preparatory year for learning the language (if the candidate does not speak Romanian already), or in foreign languages (if the respective university offers this option. Check opportunities for studying in English, French, German in the Foreign Student’s Guide on www.mae.ro at "Study in Romania".
- On scholarships offered by the Romanian state:
The scholarships offered by the Romanian state in keeping with bilateral treaties in force or with unilateral offers made by Romania to other states are managed by the MECTS through its Department for International and European Relations, based on proposals from the relevant authorities of the candidate’s country of origin (http://www.edu.ro/index.php/articles/c784/).
- Based on European university cooperation and mobility programmes:
- ERASMUS MUNDUS